Saturday, July 10, 2010

3rd Pit Bull Captured Following Attack - News Story - WSB Atlanta


3rd Pit Bull Captured Following Attack
Posted: 8:08 am EDT July 8, 2010Updated: 5:57 pm EDT July 9, 2010
DOUGLAS COUNTY, Ga. -- The third pit pull involved in an attack on a Douglasville woman has been captured, animal control officials said.
"The third pit bull has been quarantined. The dog was positively identified as one of the attacking dogs by Mr. Stephens, one of the neighbors who aided the victim during the attack," officials said.
Frankie Forsh, 56, said she tried to protect herself during the July 5 attack, but it wasn't enough to ward off the dogs.
“I had a stick in my hand and when they started approaching me, I hit one with the stick and then they all started jumping me,” said Forsh.
The dogs' owner, Akmad Rahim Coleman, was cited for 20 violations after his three pit bulls attacked Forsh as she walked in the neighborhood Monday morning, officials said.
Coleman was cited for improper restraint, canines attacking a human being without provocation and several counts of failing to provide adequate shelter and water.
Forsh said she fell to her knees and the dogs ripped into her face, arms, legs and feet.
“I don’t even know how many stitches I have. I don’t even know how many puncture wounds. I’m probably still in shock, it’s so surreal,” said Forsh.
Neighbors who came to her rescue were finally able to beat the dogs off of her. She was then rushed to an area hospital.
Authorities told the Forsh family that the owner of the dog's was out of town at the time of the attack, but has since returned home.
“He left his dogs in the caretaker’s charge, but he is also responsible because they are his dogs,” said Forsh.
Forsh, who may have to undergo rabies treatments, said she is hoping for stricter laws for vicious dogs.
___________________________________________________
This is a prime example of owner irresponsibility overshadowing responsible ownership. The owner of the dogs was given 20 citations, which is roughly between $5000 and $7000 in fines. I have no sympathy for the owner. He should have taken the necessary steps in finding someone responsible enough to take care of the dogs if he was going out of town. I don’t trust anyone else with my dog, which is why I rarely leave town. I hope this doesn’t start some BSL BS in Douglas County. I live about 40 minutes from there and if stuff is drudged up there, I fear I will feel the ramifications too. The victim wants stricter laws for vicious dogs; however, I think stricter laws for reckless owners would be a more apposite solution.
The owner was cited with improper restraint, canines attacking a human being without provocation and several counts of failing to provide adequate shelter and water. Now, I went back and read the article again and it doesn’t seem as though the dogs attacked the woman first. It seems they didn’t start attacking her until she hit one with a stick after they approached her.
“I had a stick in my hand and when they started approaching me, I hit one with the stick and then they all started jumping me,” said Forsh.
I’m sure it was a little alarming having the dogs approach her, but I think people need more awareness about what to do when approached by a strange dog. I have encountered quite a few unleashed dogs over the years and I have never had problems with any of them. So many people unnecessarily freak out and try to run or act crazy when they encounter a strange dog, especially a pit bull; yet, those actions are usually what cause a dog to attack. I am not making excuses for the dogs’ actions in any way but I don’t think that hitting them with a stick made the circumstances any better. In fact, I bet it exacerbated it. The dogs might have just checked her out and left or wanted to be petted. The dogs should be euthanized for human aggression; however, I am going to have to disagree that the dogs attacked without provocation.

No comments:

Post a Comment